2017-2018 Arts in Education (Artist Performances On Tour)
September 21, 2016
9:00 AM - to conclusion
Teleconference (How to participate)
Chair: Lois Benson
Program Manager: Gaylen Phillips
- Individual artist director, Kentucky Arts Council. Oversees the arts council’s Performing Arts Directory and its fellowship and emerging artist programs. She works closely with Kentucky arts presenters and the Commonwealth’s poets laureate.
- Formerly spent 11 years as the producing and administrative associate director for Roadside Theater, a professional touring ensemble based at Appalshop, an arts, media and education center based in Whitesburg, KY.
- M.A. in Teaching, Morehead State University. In previous lives she has been a middle school writing and language arts teacher, bookseller, project manager, teaching artist, and toy tester.
- Assistant Professor of Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management (SAEM) in the School of Business, Point Park University, Pittsburgh, PA
- Formerly Executive Director of the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center in Stowe, VT, and oversaw the development and grand opening of that facility including the first year’s initial programming.
- Formerly Assistant Professor and Head of the M.F.A. Theatre Management program with the School of Theatre at Florida State University.
- Serves as lecturer, workshop presenter, seminar director, and panelist for state arts agencies and regional arts agencies.
- BA Theatre concentration in Lighting Design, Hope College; MFA in Theatre Management/Arts Administration, University of Alabama / Alabama Shakespeare Festival.
- Director of Grants, Mississippi Arts Commission, Jackson, MS. Oversees the grant application process and trains program staff. Formulates the budget and makes presentations to the board. Writes and manages the NEA grant.
- Formerly Arts Industry Director/Accessibility Coordinator, Mississippi Arts Commission, Jackson, MS. Worked with individual artists and organizations to expand their capacity.
- Performing Artist and Storyteller – 24 years, having traveled throughout the US (including Hawaii), Germany, and Africa
- Author of numerous books and included in literary journals and national publications
- Mixed Media Fiber artist exhibiting in museums and galleries, included in private collections and museum collections
Columbia, South Carolina
- Program Manager and Human Resource Director, South Carolina Arts Commission, Columbia, SC. Her responsibilities include Artist Entrepreneurship, Consulting and Training, Leadership and Organizational Development, Cultural Tourism, and Performing Arts and Presenting. Joy is certified in employee law relations.
- A performing artist herself, Joy teaches privately and performs throughout the Southeast United States. Most recently, Joy sang at Spoleto Festival USA 2016 in its historic production of DuBose Heyward's Porgy and Bess.
- Completed training in Arts Administration, Nonprofit Governance, Executive Transition/Succession Planning, Risk Management, and Mediation.
- Bachelor of Arts, Columbia College; studied voice performance at Manhattan School of Music; Master of Arts, University of New York. Joy has served as adjunct faculty at Benedict College and the University of South Carolina.